Saturday, May 10, 2014

Nine down

So I'm realizing I need to keep track of the books I've read in this challenge as I keep forgetting what number I'm at! I've now completed nine books. Here are the last three from April and early May:

7. Orphan Train
This was a good story, but not my favorite. I often gauge books based on whether I want to share them with others or sell to Half Price. This one wasn't bad, but it's in the Half Price pile.

8. Wave
Holy flipping cow this book was depressing!! I knew it would be to a degree based on the subject (it's a true story of a woman and her family in the 2004 tsunami), but it was never resolved. Which is because it's a biography and it's her way of working through the hurt. So, from that perspective it was good - raw, emotional, honest. I don't know that I'd recommend it since it is so sad, but then sadness is a part of life so I'm thankful to have read it and had a glimpse into her life and the tragedy she experienced. It definitely softens your empathy!

9. Princess
This one is really good! It's a biography of a Saudi Arabian princess from her childhood through the 90s. It is also raw and real at times as it describes the plight of women in the oppressive culture. Incidentally, it was an interesting perspective as my community group has been doing a study of women in the Bible. It's interesting to see the dichotomy between how God sees women and what is told to the women of this culture (and so many others).

Next up is The Great Gatsby! I've actually read this before, but it was 16+ years ago so I don't remember a lot of it, just that I liked it.