Thursday, January 24, 2013

Does it make me official?


So, week one of my photo challenge is quite boring...just things around my room. I was originally thinking it would consist of some rock climbing shots, but we had to postpone that trip. In any case, here it goes.
 
1. New yoga mat
I started yoga about a year and a half ago, but then took probably close to a six month break after injuring my back as I was fearful of re-injury. So in total I’ve practiced yoga consistently for about a year. I’ve had a hankering to increase that frequency, in many ways because of the sheer volume of benefits I’d experienced from a mere 1-3x per week practice. Unfortunately, I had already maxed-out on the classes offered at my gym for my style of choice. Also, there has been a mass exodus of instructors at my gym in the past year (a whole other story…), including all of my favorite yoga instructors and the replacements haven't been as good. 

Anyway, before Christmas I learned my favorite teachers all went to a new studio by my house. I did a little research and learned it has a great concept – yoga for all. It’s still growing, but they have yoga for all ages, levels, and I saw yesterday they’re starting one for kids with special needs. Love it. I was hesitant to join since I wasn’t sure if I’d like a studio setting, but after learning about a deeply discounted six months membership for 2013 resolutions, I bit the bullet. I’m glad I did as I’m loving it! It’s funny as even my favorite instructors from my gym have a completely different style in a studio setting since they’re allowed to adjust your postures and such.

So…the mat.

In my year of regular practice in yoga, I’ve burned through three cheap mats. On Friday, I almost fell on my face during down dog. Saturday, I couldn’t balance in crescent lunge as my foot kept slipping. Then yesterday I almost fell in warrior 1. I decided it was time to get a new one or I was going to hurt myself. I was going to mosey on to Target for a new cheapo one, but after doing some research, considering how I’ve increased my practice, and the fact that I’ve already spent the same in cheap yoga mats, I decided to commit to a better made mat. And this one has a lifetime guarantee, so it should last longer!

Enter, Manduka proLite…and it’s purple. Apparently they take a little time to break-in, but tonight will be my first test! So, does this make me an official yogi now?!?
 

2. Current reading
My first 2013 resolution book is The Sun Also Rises. I must say, I'm not a fan. I'm close to finishing it, but I legitimately don't get the point of it. A group of expats partying and getting drunk in Paris and Pamplona? Pointless.
 

3. Playing with persepective
I was playing with perspective here...my current favorite boots.


4. My inability to sit still
Ask my roommate, I have an extreme inability to sit still almost ever, but especially when watching TV. I always find some project to work on or just something to play with. Here, I'm playing with some leftover yarn. Maybe it'll become a scarf. Or maybe it'll become nothing.


5. Working on my bed...because it was freeeeeeezing
Last week one night I had to work really late. I don't stay at my office late anymore as I did that for many years and it's quite creepy after 6:30... Last week I worked late but was so flipping cold in the living room, even with my lovely electric blanket (my hands were cold typing), that I transitioned to my room, which is the warmest in my house. It was super tempting to just crawl into bed and go asleep, but I pushed through. :)

 
So that's week one. Pretty boring.