Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Forgiveness

I really love being able to ask for forgiveness.

What? That probably sounds weird.

But it's true.

This morning I had the opportunity to ask forgiveness from someone. At first I thought I'd blow it off, but then I realized no, I needed to. For my tongue ran rampant last night and, although it may not have impacted this person, it caused division between the Lord and me as I wasn't loving one of his precious people well by letting my tongue run amuck. I don't know how it'll occur, but I'm at thankful I can ask.

Why?

Because I'm forgiven.

Interestingly, after the above morning act, I dove into some Luke. I read a lot, as I've picked-up the chronological bible to finish the New Testament, but one passage hit me. Luke 7:36-50. Go read it.

Have you read it? :)

I was struck by these lines:

I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”
“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.

The reason I love asking for forgiveness is I have received the largest forgiveness ever through Jesus. Even so, I know that, while I hope it continues to lessen with the Spirit's help, I will sadly still hurt others, have a careless tongue, respond selfishly, etc. And these acts and thoughts will impact the lives of others and break unity. Asking for forgiveness gives me the ability to humbly acknowledge when I allowed unity to be broken, grow, and learn. Even if the other person chooses not to accept, which I can't control.

Prayerful others will let me know and prayerful the Spirit will convict me when I need to ask for forgiveness. And that I will joyfully and humbly do so, out of grace and thankfulness for the eternal forgiveness I've been given in Jesus.