Monday, March 21, 2011

Francophone Pour Ce Francophile!

I've always thought it was hilarious that there is a term for lovers of French culture: francophile. I think it's sort of an ugly word, so don't use it to define myself, though it certainly does!

There's also a term for all French-speaking countries that are not France (because that's the all-superior of the French language countries...according to the French :)): francophone.

In high school we had to memorize all of the francophones. I probably couldn't list them all off anymore, but know there are many in Africa, the Caribbean, Canada of course, and some in the Pacific.

I turn 30 this summer and, a few years ago, was shooting for going to France this summer. I'm okay with this knowing France isn't going anywhere.

What on earth does this have to do with the price of tea in China?!?

Although I'm not going to France, I am going to a francophone! One that has been on my heart long before earthquakes struck it. One that was most definitely magnified with the earthquake a little over a year ago.

This summer I get to go to Haiti!

I'll be a leader on the student ministry trip, on which at least four of our girls are going (potentially more, it's a little up-in-the-air)! I can barely believe it and am eternally blessed for this opportunity. Although the primary language of Haitians is Creole, not traditional French, it's based in French, so I'm hoping that helps. :)

More to come when the team is finalized, we know more of what we'll be doing, and know which area I'll be in-charge of. In the meantime, I'm so, so thankful for this opportunity. I can't wait to see how God will work in the coming months as we prepare.