Monday, November 8, 2010

Little of This and That

Confession #2 (and a little more serious, I suppose).
There are days when I want to be a mom so badly it hurts. Interestingly, they aren’t days when I’m around other folks’ kids, it’s typically when an idea pops into my mind related to parenting or fun kid-related things; ideas to bring joy and fun into daily life. Things that, while can be tweaked for kids that aren’t yours, would be more sweet and meaningful if they were. These days I sort of shove the ideas aside as dwelling on them brings forth emotions/thoughts that I just don’t want to deal with. Not in a stuffing manner, simply because dwelling on them would be futile and more damaging than reminding myself I don’t have children. Maybe someday I’ll be able to pull them from the recesses of my mind and put to use. But today, I will refocus my thinking to something relevant for today’s lifestage.

In other news, I’m taking my first ever CityCraft class tonight. Realistically, I’ve sort of figured out how to do the things in the class, but have a feeling I’m either doing them incorrectly or inefficiently so decided to put my birthday gift to use and take a class. I’m excited to have something different to do and possibly meet some new folks, even if it is just for the class this week and next (it’s two weeks long). And at least I’ll have one project started and finished by next Monday as my mind is reeling with Christmas ideas, making me a tad overwhelmed that I'll finish any of them. Thankfully I’ve almost finished all immediate family gifts; just have a few finishing touches for McKenzie’s, one piece left for Heather and Adam, and basically finished with my parents.

And finally, I stumbled across a new artist (at least new to me) last week. Her name is Mindy Gledhill and I’ve fallen in love with her album Anchor. It’s quite different from the typical music I listen to in that it’s a little more soft and airy, but I love her lyrics. There’s something whimsical and magical about them. And it’s happy-sounding. Aside from that, I’ve also been listening to Brooke Fraser’s new album, Jacob and Lilly (betcha never heard of them!), some Damien Rice, my jazz standard friends (Sinatra, Holliday, Fitzgerald, Armstrong, Martin), Shane and Shane’s new one, and a little musical joyousness (Sound of Music, Annie, South Pacific, get the picture). Quite the eclectic mix, eh? Oh well. It’s the sounds of fall 2010.

Oh and in case you’re wildly curious about the challenges. Sorry. I just haven’t felt up to sharing the first week’s with the cyber world; they’ve been much more personally challenging than outwardly interesting. Maybe this week. Today’s is the CityCraft class, even though that may be cheating a little since I signed up for it in October… Eh, whatever.