Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It's the Little Things

Yesterday was a really bad day. Thankfully, through some funny stories from my roommate, much of the frustration bled away by the end of the night. Then bright and early this morning one aspect of yesterday's rough day jumped right out at me. I felt deflated, frustrated, hurt, and like I'd rather go back to sleep than face the day. I sat with my coffee and breakfast staring at my Bible not sure what I was even reading. Then, a truth that one of my sweet friends so frequently it's almost become her mantra popped into my mind.

God is sovereign.

I started praying that, knowing he knew about my days and wouldn't allow anything to destroy me or my relationship with him. I was still hurt, but kept repeating said mantra in my mind.

I got in the car to head to work and realized how tired I still was. We didn't have enough coffee for another cup and I didn't have time to brew another. And I HATE our coffee at work, it tastes like burnt something and we only have powdered creamer...yuck. I decided to swing into Starbucks for the $1.50 brew (or whatever it costs).

But to my most wonderful surprise PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES ARE BACK!!!! This is my most favorite drink in the whole world ever. Even though it's pricier than I planned, I couldn't pass it up. I was so excited to get my hands on the burnt orange, spicy goodness!


I thanked God for a simple gift and what these drinks represent. Yes, I recognize it's just a cup of fancy coffee, but to me it represents the beginning of my favorite time of the whole year. It's the start of a new season. This simple drink reminded me God is sovereign and cares deeply about my bad days for "he who began a GOOD work in me will carry it to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6
Now, I will have to exercise great discipline as I can easily go crazy with the pumpkin since it is my favorite. :) But for today, I say thank you most holy Lord for using a seemingly dumb thing to remind me of how much you love us. And thank you for creating the yumminess that is pumpkin spice lattes and giving me the means to enjoy every once in a while, and for the beautiful season that is to come.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
And I now give you permission to poke fun of my love for the pumpkin. :)