Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Jungle Boogie

We leave for Brazil in THREE DAYS (actually, technically 2 ½ since we leave Friday morning)! Holy. Cow. I’m definitely excited, but am feeling a little anxious. Sadly, my anxiousness is not for the reasons you’d think…

I’m worried I’m going to get sick. This is a very weird phenomenon for me considering I was an extremely healthy person until two years ago. I suppose I’m technically still healthy, I just have a multitude of chronic problems that could rear their ugly heads at any moment without warning…grr. All that to say, I’m a little nervous that I’m going to have stomach issues. I have medicine in case I do, well, for part of it, but there’s still a lurking fear. I’m also getting a little weirded out by the minor dizziness and headaches I’ve gotten periodically over the last few months. It seems to lessen after I drink gobs of water, so I think it’s really from dehydration. Two-or-so weeks ago I got a new water bottle that is one liter, dishwasher safe, and has a straw thing in an attempt to make the water-drinking even easier. I’m trying to drink two refills a day, but have noticed my water intake is really low on the weekends since I’m not sitting at a desk the majority of the day. Anyway, I digress.

This morning I was gathering things to leave for work, and saw a stack of verses on index cards that I have been pilfering through over the past few weeks, attempting to commit to memory. I say attempting because my memorization discipline has waned somewhat recently…I blame it on the number of things in my head, though that’s really just an excuse and in reality I’ve just chosen to put other things in my mind…ugh. Anyway, this one was on top:

But he said to me, “my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Once again, my denseness was revealed in the most gentle way. I have almost no control over whether or not I get sick (and in reality probably no control…remembering Phoebe trying to re-catch her cold to have the sultry singing voice :)). If I do, God obviously has a plan and a reason to use it to more clearly show his power. I’m of course praying that ALL of us remain healthy on the trip so we can best serve and love. And I’ll do my part to take my medicine (I’m basically bringing a medicine cabinet with me…), drink water, lather myself with bug spray, etc. and be obnoxious in reminding the kids to do the same!

In terms of prayers, please be praying for the following:
1. That God will be glorified above all else
2. For safety and health :)
3. Lives to be changed in huge, giant ways and many to come to know and/or grow closer to Him
4. Stamina, patience, unity, and servant-hearts for the team
5. For all of us to:
Prepare our minds for action 1 Peter 1:13

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith…so that (we) will not grow weary and lose heart

Hebrew 12:1-3
6. And for any other prayer that finds its way into your mind…I’m learning about prayer right now, too, and love the seemingly random prayer times :)

I’ll see you on the flipside; can’t wait to share all about the time in the jungle!