Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wow, how quickly I forget things. I saw a tweet from Matt Chandler earlier about preparing for his talks for UT’s Rez Week. I had COMPLETELY forgotten about Rez Week!

Rez Week is a week devoted to 24/7 worship and prayer bringing together all Christian ministries across UT. It occurs annually over Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter). A house of prayer is constructed in the heart of campus as a place to pray, worship through music, art, or anything really. Large gatherings occur nightly with various speakers and corporate worship. Anyone is welcome to go, ask questions, ask for prayer, just share, etc. The whole purpose of the week is to pray for all of UT to be radically transformed by God’s glory.

My freshman year, I was weirded out by Rez Week, feeling it was extreme and an impossible mission (mind you, my heart was in a completely different place then). As I found a church home and drew closer to the Lord, I began to better understand and have conviction for the heart of the ministry. The Texas tagline is “What Starts Here Changes the World.” What a better catalyst for this ministry; impacting hearts and lives to find freedom and then spread that good news once they graduate and spread around the world.

All that to say, I truly believe God continues to do great things on the UT campus and I was excited to read more about how the Rez Week ministry has expanded beyond an annual program. They now have prayer occurring over the campus 24/7/365 (wow!) and have begun a UT-focused missionary program in which students are purposely choosing to live in dorms, join clubs, intramural sports, etc to build relationships with and love on others, sharing the wonderfully great news of Christ.

One of my other favorite things about Rez Week was the diversity and exposure to different forms of worship since it included all ministries joining together with one single-minded purpose. UT is blessed to have students from all walks of life and countries around the world; it is certainly a melting pot and I loved having my eyes and heart open to different ways to worship our God.

All that to say, I was thankful for the simple reminder of an event that I took part in many years, not as a trip down memory lane, but as a reminder to continue praying for the students, faculty, and transformation across the campus. Selfishly, I pray at least one of my darling girls attends UT, not because I want them to be Longhorns, but because I know they would greatly impact every life they touch for God and be Lights for him in everything they do. But of course I know God will lead them exactly where he wants them, while continuing his magnificent work at UT.

Bless ‘em oh Lord. Transform the heart of the campus. Bring revival. And “May the God of hope fill [them] with all joy and peace as [they] trust in him, so that [they] may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13