Monday, January 4, 2010

Review of 2009

I'm stealing this from Jen because I thought it was fun. I'm sure she won't mind. :)

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Finished CR. Had surgery. Tried skiing… There’s gotta be something else, but I can’t think of what it is.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not completely, but I’m giving myself freedom there for I believe resolutions can be somewhat fluid and are open to change based on God’s direction. Though there were some that just exemplify my lack of discipline…boo.

I’m only making one this year and that is to read through the entire Bible. Last year my mom successfully read through the Bible using a chronological version. It reorganizes the chapters and books in order of when they occurred chronologically. Her time was greatly blessed and she learned so much, so I decided I wanted to commit to doing it this year, too.

3. What places did you visit?
Hmm…San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Lubbock, Colorado. I went to many other smaller places, but those are the “big” ones. Is it sad that I just said “big” associated with those places? Eh, oh well. To traveling in 2010!

4. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I’m stealing part of Jen’s answer, a guy. And then secondly, more discipline (oh the curse of being an all-over-the-place person!)

5. What days from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory?
The days after my surgery feeling so very loved by family and friends when I felt like I’d just had a baby (I’m only guessing considering I’ve never had a baby). Our girls’ trip to San Antonio and the endless amount of teasing Stacy received from her love affair with Yao Ming; haha. Our little girls’ small group retreat. The day of Pride & Prejudice where Sarah relished Mr Darcy, the lover of her soul. And my weekend being Aunt Sarah with darling McKenzie doing girly, artsy things.

6. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Truly, finishing CR. It’s such a long, arduous process yet wildly beneficial and one that has blessed me greatly. I can’t even express the amount of freedom I’ve experienced from digging in and allowing God to work. I had an opportunity to dig through my old books yesterday while working on some things for a small group girl and was astounded at all that I have learned and how the principles truly are integrated into my daily life in some way or another.

7. What was your biggest failure?
Well what a downer of a question! I suppose realistically it’d be exercising. I have a hatred for my gym (partially because it’s pure evil and will not let me quit though the closest location is 25 minutes away in an area of town I rarely go) and just stink at motivating myself. Again, I’m giving myself freedom here, well today I am, because I worked so hard on my heart and inside, which I feel is of much greater importance.

8. What was the best thing you bought?
My sewing machine! Though in all transparency, my grandmother bought it for me. But it sure is fabulous and has been put to great use!

9. Where did most of your money go?
Bills. Boo.

10. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Being quiet and still. It’s a problem, I do not have idle hands, even when watching TV I have to do something. And when spending time with God, I have to have music playing.

11. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying. I still do, but what a serious waste of time.

12. What was your favorite TV program?
Project Runway! And Katie got me into Brothers and Sisters

13. What was your favorite film of this year?
In the theater, I really liked 500 Days of Summer. On video, anything old school. High Society is probably one of my favorites, though I did not see it for the first time in 2009…

14. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Patrizio’s dinner with wonderful friends followed by dessert at our house. 28.

15. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I’d like to say classic with some vintage thrown in, but I’m not sure if that’s really the case…this question may be better suited for others to answer about me

16. What kept you sane?
Jesus.

17. What is a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009?
That my life and circumstances don’t have to look like everyone else’s or like an essentially meaningless ideal that I have in my head.

18. What is a valuable spiritual lesson you learned in 2009?
That God’s timing may be completely different than mine, but is perfect. And that I have the fullness of the Holy Spirit in me; not a piece or a sliver, the whole shebang and boy does he want to work in and through me!

19. What are your goals for 2010?
Well, I already said my resolution, but I suppose I do have some goals, too:
1. Stick to my budget in order to save more and pay off the dumb ole surgery
2. Move more (I’m calling it move as opposed to exercise…maybe the change in vernacular will trick my lackadaisical brain…)
3. Knit or crochet a sweater. I know, random, but the patterns stress me out since I’m a self-taught yarn-worker!
4. Learn to quilt, just for fun
5. Complete 29 new things this year (this is an idea I stole from my friend Bridget; basically you do the number of new things for the age you turn in that year…so, I turn 29 and will attempt 29 new things!)


20. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Are you kidding me? Sheesh, I’m such a music person this is hard. But, I think I’m going to go fun instead of serious…maybe the subject of this song in my life will appear in 2010. *sigh*

See this post if you're interested in knowing the answer. :)