Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hark the Herald Angels Sing

I'm kind of running out of things to say and completely forgot to write last night. Eh, oh well.

Today, I switched my calendar at my desk to December. I LOVE my calendar, it's a Kris-10 Creation and the 2009 theme for Kristin was a love for God's Word. It's interesting how when I opened the calendar way back in January and read her note about the selected theme, I thought "oh, that's cool" but honestly didn't realize how it would become a central truth in my life this year. While I of course know the importance of Scripture, it came alive to me this year in ways I couldn't have dreamt. I'm not always perfect at reading it daily and sticking to decisions to memorize things by X date, but my reliance on his Word continues to deepen as I realize more and more it is the ultimate source of encouragement, correction, teaching, etc. etc.

The theme verse for December is "And the word became flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld his glory" John 1:14. I couldn't imagine a more perfect verse to encapsulate the essence of Christmas and this fabulous season. What a splendid reminder that He, who existed at the beginning with God and the Spirit, humbled himself and came down into our world to live. And not just to wander around the earth and check out broken human life, but to live perfectly and without sin in order to take on every single one of our sins, die a horrendously excrutiating death, and defeat dead three days later so that we may be reconciled in him.

Hark the herald angels sing indeed! Glory to the newborn King!