Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

In light of Sarah’s recent post, I thought I’d share some of my favorite Christmas things! I, too, primarily avoid Christmas-like things (aside from getting/making gifts) until after Thanksgiving, though I have listened to a song here or there and Katie and I embraced the start of the cheesy Christmas movies this past weekend…

As I’ve said before, I have a love of all things vintage and 30s/40s. When I picture the “ideal” Christmas, it is almost always embodied within classics, cold air, and hats. I know, random, but it’s how I picture things and you’ll probably notice the theme throughout my list! Oh and I created four categories and am limiting myself to five choices within each (because I could seriously get crazy with it…).

Favorite Music
1. Christmas with the Rat Pack – Frank, Dean, and Sammy
2. The Christmas Collection – Frank and the fam
3. White Christmas – Bing Crosby
4. Billboards Greatest Hits Christmas – variety
5. A Holiday Celebration – Peter, Paul, & Mary

Favorite Movies
1. White Christmas (singing, dancing, Bing, Danny, and Rosemary, what’s not to love?!?!)
2. Christmas Vacation (ALWAYS makes me laugh)
3. The Bishop’s Wife
4. It’s a Wonderful Life
5. Miracle on 34th Street
For the last three, ONLY in black and white; I’m not about the weirdo colorized versions

Favorite Treats!

1. My mom’s chex mix…WILDLY better than the bag stuff; and by the amount we eat, it’s a given as to why we only have it at Christmas
2. Sausage cheese balls!
3. Gingerbread, in any fashion (I have a great cookie recipe!)
4. Christmas Eve dinner of wine, cheese, sausage, crackers, and fondue
5. Christmas morning breakfast of pigs and a blanket, sausage cheese balls, cuties, and mimosas (consumed post present opening)

Favorite Christmas Gifts (mine and my family)
1. My fabulous Barbie house when I was five…got lots of use and love over the years
2. The year my brother, our two best friends Brenda, Kyle, and I all got new bikes (I think I was 9 or 10?); we spent the entire day riding around and around the neighborhood
3. When my mom gave my dad a tee time at Pebble Beach and set-up a scavenger hunt around the house ending with a jar full of pebbles, water, and sand…it was fun to follow him around confused! (I was young, probably 7 or 8?)
4. My brother’s Omega Virus game; we played it for hours that Christmas at my grandmother’s with my aunt Ulrike…she thought it was hilarious!
5. The year we went on a family cruise as our Christmas gift; many fun memories of that week!

And another funny Christmas-related thing. Apparently the "new" thing this year is Elf on the Shelf. My brother and sister in-law got one for McKenzie. I wish I could see it, but when they tell her to do something, she looks up at the elf and then obeys. Silly Kenzie.