Monday, January 12, 2009

The Scariest Things I Know

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO thankful my girls are in 10th grade and not middle school. I've learned from Laura and Kristie's blogs (if I knew how to do that fancy "highlight the name to click to their blogs" thing I would) that in Wake yesterday, there was some sort of terrifying fish-tossing skit. With REAL dead fish. Um, no.

For as long as I can remember, I've had a very odd fear of fish. I know it's completely irrational and they won't hurt me, but they seriously freak me out. As a kid, I once got a fish hook in my eye lid. I'll sum that experience to my mom crying hysterically "she's gonna be blind!" and my brother offering to pull it out. I also vividly remember on a family reunion trip, my uncle Dee finding it quite funny to chase me around the house with the catfish he just caught. I panicked, desperately trying to find an escape route. Then there's my snorkeling adventure when I was almost attacked by a barracuda (and yes, I still stand by my version of the story that I was attacked). My parents and brother still laugh at hearing a piercing scream through their snorkels knowing it was me. Oh, and in an attempt to rid me of my fish-fears in college, my roommate Lacy encouraged me to face my fears offering to help by putting a dead fish in my bed. Seriously?!? Thankfully she refrained. I also cannot stand the taste of the nasty, squirmy things. Basically, if they weren't a food source to millions, maybe billions, of people around the world, I'd wish all the fish would disappear.

Therein lies why I am praising God my girls are in high school where the grossness of skits ends.