Monday, January 5, 2009

Mighty to Save

My current "theme" song of sorts is Mighty to Save. During the fall, I think I heard this song at least once a week at church, Shoreline, or CR. Then, I distinctly remember Mel putting it on as she prepared lunch on the Getaway while we were all finishing up our two-hour quiet time. My Beethoven, Ezekiel, and David-filled quiet time; not that they are bad, but that's another story. Anyway, coincidence? I think not.

As I mentioned in my first post, though I love songs with lyrics, my heart is primarily stirred with the instrumental portion. Except praise music, which of course has a deeper meaning than "lalalala, I love your beautiful eyes and want to swim in their blue"-type music. I digress. I'm a little slow and really didn't realize until later that Sunday night after the Getaway that God was talking to me through this song. Over Thanksgiving week, I listened to it daily, and since then, it has been a constant quiet time and driving companion.

This morning driving into work after my lovely two-week vacation, I blared the tune and sung loudly (I'm sure fellow drivers on Central thought I was nuts, but who cares!). The chorus and second verse are especially relevant to my current state, if you will. Two other songs that are also meaningful right now are Brooke Fraser's Hymn and Kate Hurley's You Are Not Alone.

As I approach this week with slight apprehension, I remember "Savior, He can move the mountains My God is mighty to save!" And praise God these aren't just words.